How do I report a lost or found pet?

If you have lost a pet, or you have found an animal that you believe to be owned, please visit our Lost and Found pets page.

What should I do if I see a stray animal, or another animal-related issue in the community?

Animal-related concerns should be reported to the Citizen’s Service Bureau (CSB). You can call the CSB at 314.622.4800, or, you make a complaint or request a city service online here.

Where are Animal Care and Control administrative offices located?

Animal Care and Control administrative offices are located at:

City of St. Louis Department of Health

1520 Market, Suite 4051
Saint Louis, MO  63103

Our hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm.
Where is the Animal Care and Control shelter located?
The Animal Care and Control shelter is located at:
2801 Clark Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Our public hours are Monday-Sunday from 10:00am-5:00pm.

What kind of animals come to the shelter?

The animals that are brought to the shelter are either animals that have been obtained through a partnership with law enforcement (i.e., a dog owner is arrested and the police require assistance in handling the dog), animals from neglect cases, or animals that have been reported to be dangerous to people or other animals.

Does Animal Care and Control have an adoption program?

Animal Care and Control coordinates the adoptions of our shelter animals through Stray Rescue. Click here to view Stray Rescue’s adoptable companion animals: http://strayrescue.org/adopt

Also, Animal Care and Control staff work with several pet shelter and rescue groups to transfer adoptable animals. The Department of Health believes that animals should be given every possible chance to be adopted into a “forever” home.

Will there be volunteer or donation programs?

There is currently no volunteer program, but Animal Care and Control will accept the following donated items:

  • Cat and dog beds
  • Blankets and towels (gently used)
  • Cat toys
  • Dog toys, such as Kongs
  • Dog chew toys, such as Nylabones
  • Cat and dog treats
  • Poop bags
  • PVC pipes/fittings
  • Tarps
  • Kiddie pools
  • Gently used hoses
  • Pet safe salt (for ice in cold weather)
  • Dish soap
  • Bottled water
  • Dog food
  • Office supplies (printer paper, pens, etc.)

Does Animal Care and Control accept animal surrenders?

Animal Care and Control will accept animal surrenders at the shelter facility. A re-homing fee of $60.00 is required at the time of surrender.

Animal Care and Control encourages pet owners to exhaust every option possible for their pet before they choose to surrender their animal to a shelter.

Please see the following link from Stray Rescue regarding tips for surrendering your animal.*


* Please note Stray Rescue does not take owner surrenders or drop offs unless they were adopted through Stray Rescue.

Will animals be euthanized at the new shelter?

Animals can only be euthanized if they are seriously ill or injured, deemed to be a safety risk to people or other animals, or if they have been repeatedly refused transfer by rescue groups. Although every effort is made to transfer animals that are adoptable, not every attempt at placement is successful.

Is the Gasconade facility open?

No. Animal Control Officers will continue to visit the Gasconade facility in case any animals are abandoned at the location.