Here are some tips for locating the owners of a found pet:
1) Post fliers as soon as possible in the area where you found the pet.
2) Send an email to email@example.com that includes a photo of the animal and the following information, if available:
- Chip (Y/N)
- Other identifying characteristics
- Location found
- Phone Number
3) Utilize social media to help spread the word that you have found a pet that you believe is lost. Below are several social media sites dedicated to lost and found pets:
4) Complete a found pet report at http://www.stllostpets.org/.
5) Check Craigslist frequently–under “community” there is a link for “pets”. You should post a photo of the found pet there, as well as a description. Then, continue to check Craigslist daily to see if perhaps someone else has made a post for a lost pet that resembles the animal you found.
To make sure the dog returns to the proper owner, we also recommend verifying ownership by asking the owner to show you previous photos of the dog, registration records, etc.